Tenants urged to report damp and mould as council sets new policy

Thu 27th July 2023
Tenants Urged To Report Damp And Mould As Council Sets New Policy

A new policy for tackling damp and mould in homes has been approved by East Riding councillors.

East Riding of Yorkshire Council's Damp and Mould Policy 2023-26 builds on the council’s existing proactive approach to working with its tenants to prevent, identify and address condensation, damp and mould issues.

The policy was backed by Cabinet earlier this month and approved at a full council meeting yesterday [July 26].

One of the key messages in the policy is that anyone reporting condensation, damp and mould will be treated with empathy and respect. 

Investigations will be carried out within 12 days of and issue being reported, and appropriate repairs will be carried out on a case-by-case basis, followed by further inspections to ensure the repairs have been effective.

The council will continue to make sure that frontline staff across the organisation are trained and equipped to identify potential causes, provide advice, diagnose problems, and offer practical solutions to residents.

Tenants will have access to guidance on proactive measures they can take to help prevent damp, mould or condensation occurring in their homes.

Councillor Gary McMaster, portfolio holder for housing and infrastructure, said: “East Riding of Yorkshire Council has always worked hard to tackle damp and mould, but this policy puts it in much greater focus.

“We encourage tenants to promptly report any concerns about damp, mould and condensation in their homes so our housing maintenance team can deal with the problem before it gets worse.

“There are many causes of damp and mould, and we will work with tenants to help prevent it from occurring and deal with it promptly when it does.”

Tenants can report damp, mould or condensation issues at eastriding.gov.uk/housing, call (01482 393939) or visit any customer service centre.

Help for Households

East Riding of Yorkshire Council’s Help for Households campaign is dedicated to supporting residents who need financial aid during the cost of living crisis.

The council’s Your Money team can help with rent, council tax payments or repaying overpaid housing benefit. Visit eryc.link/your-money, email yourmoney@eastriding.gov.uk or call (01482) 394633.

To learn more about all the help available, visit the Help for Households website or call (01482) 393939.

Just Beverley