TdY coming to Beverley 2nd May 2019Wed 1st May 2019
Beverley and surrounding villages will experience a special treat as the publicity caravan and the ambassadors come in to town for TdY 2019 on Thursday 2nd May at approximately 2.00pm.
As with previous years a parade of specially decorated vehicles will entertain the crowd handing out freebies and keepsakes to people lining the route in Beverley.
The 2019 caravan will have 28 specially decorated vehicles moving along the route ahead of the main race and the cycling fans will have the opportunity to meet some of the legends of the sport, who are the "Tour de Yorkshire Ambassadors". The ambassadors will be travelling behind the caravan posing for photographs and greeting fans.
- Hugh Porter MBE will be compering along with the ex Team Sky rider Russell Downing (from Rotherham).
- 1982 World Champion Mandy Bishop.
- The first Briton to win a stage of the Tour de France Brian Robinson (from Mirfield).
- World-class rider and daughter of the legendary Morley cyclist Beryl Burton, (A production of Beryl is currently showing at ert in Beverley until 18th May) Denise Burton-Cole.
- From Wakefield a man who won eight stages of the Tour de France between 1967 and 1975 Barry Hoban.
- Four-time national champion Lisa Brambani (from Bradford).
The stop-off locations along with the approximate timings for the caravan and ambassadors are as follows :-
Walkington (13:54), Beverley (14:03), Côte de Baggaby Hill (14:50), Pocklington (15:09).