Reminder - free compost giveaways will be held in MayTue 2nd May 2023
Free compost giveaways run by East Riding of Yorkshire Council will begin on 13 May.
Nine giveaway events will be held across the East Riding from then until 27 May.
Fifty-five tonnes of compost - around 4,500 bags - will be given away to residents for free.
The compost has been recycled from the garden and food waste residents placed in their brown bins.
Residents are invited to drive to their nearest event, where they can claim two free 15kg bags of compost. The bags will be placed in their car boots by staff.
The giveaways follow successful events held in May and September last year.
People can recycle the following in their brown bins: grass cuttings, hedge trimmings, small branches, leaves, flowers and weeds, all cooked and uncooked food, peelings, plate scrapings, bones, bread, meat, eggshells and small amounts of soups, sauces and gravies.
All brown bin contents get recycled into compost by the Biowise plant in Willerby – where all the giveaway compost comes from.
Carl Skelton, acting director of streetscene at East Riding of Yorkshire Council, said: “Residents have helped to make us one of the top recycling authorities in the country, and these giveaways are our opportunity to thank people for their support.”
Free compost will be given away at the following events:
- Saturday 13 May, 10am – Beverley, Beverley council depot, Annie Reed Road, off Grovehill Road and Beck View Road, HU17 0LF
- Monday 15 May, 4.30 pm – Preston, Holderness Academy and Sixth Form College, Station Road, HU12 8UZ
- Tuesday 16 May, 4pm – Driffield, Driffield Showground, Kelleythorpe, YO25 9DN.
- Wednesday 17 May, 4pm – Goole, West Park, DN14 6UU
- Thursday 18 May, 4pm – Withernsea, Pavilion Car Park, Station Road, HU19 2QA
- Friday 19 May, 4pm – Hornsea, Broadway Car Park, HU18 1PZ
- Monday 22 May, 4pm – Brough/Elloughton, Brantingham Park, Brantingham Road, Elloughton, HU15 1HX.
- Tuesday 23 May, 5pm – Pocklington, Wolds Gliding Club, Hodsow Lane, YO42 1NP
- Saturday 27 May, 10am – Carnaby, council depot, Carnaby Industrial Estate, Lancaster Road, YO15 3QY
Residents are asked not to queue at the venues beforehand or they may be turned away for safety reasons.
The compost is best used as a soil improver.