Council's ASB team issues advice to residents ahead of Halloween and Bonfire Night

Wed 26th October 2022
Halloween 1

Halloween can be a fun occasion to enjoy, but not everyone wishes to take part.

Here are a few things to remember when you're out on Halloween:

  • If you’re going trick or treating, make sure you go with an adult and your parent or carer knows where you’re going and when to expect you back
  • Respect posters asking you not to trick or treat at someone’s house
  • Don’t go trick or treating alone - stay with your group
  • Eggs and flour are for baking. Don’t throw them!
  • Be careful crossing roads in the dark.
  • Have a great time, stay safe and look out for each other. 

How should I respond to trick or treaters?

We know many of our residents will welcome trick or treaters this year with gifts for children but we also understand not everyone wishes to take part. Download our 'We don't wish to take part' poster to leave on your door or window during the evening.

Halloween - We don't wish to take part poster

What do I need to know about fireworks?  

Fireworks are great fun, but it is important to remember that they can also cause distress and injuries if not handled properly.

If you are using fireworks at home, simply follow our guidelines to ensure you have a safe but fun bonfire night.

Remember, remember...

  • Only buy fireworks from a legitimate retailer
  • It is illegal to supply fireworks to persons under the age of 18
  • Shops are not allowed to sell fireworks louder than 120 decibels
  • It is an offence for under-18s to have fireworks in a public place
  • You should never throw or set off a firework in the street, onto a road or in a public place
  • You’re not allowed to set off fireworks between 11pm and 7am except on Bonfire Night whereby the curfew is midnight to 7am. New Year’s Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year, curfew is 1am
  • Anyone caught causing a nuisance with fireworks will receive an instant fine and any fireworks found on a person under 18 will be confiscated
  • Never use any kind of accelerant i.e. petrol to start a bonfire
  • Always inform your neighbours if you are using fireworks and be considerate
  • Ensure your fireworks comply with British Standard 7114 or the European equivalents
  • Remember, if you break the law on fireworks you could be sent to prison for up to six months or your parents or carers could receive a fine.

You can only buy fireworks (including sparklers) from registered sellers for private use on these dates:

  • 15 October - 10 November
  • 26 - 31 December
  • 3 days before Diwali and Chinese New Year.

At other times you can only buy fireworks from licensed shops.

Where can I report ASB?

You can report ASB (antisocial behaviour) to Humberside Police by calling 101 (999 in an emergency) or to the council's ASB team by clicking here.

For more information visit

Cllr David Elvidge, portfolio holder for community empowerment and voluntary sector at East Riding of Yorkshire Council, said: “This time of year is full of exciting occasions such as Halloween and Bonfire Night and we want the residents of the East Riding to make the most of these events. There are, however, a minority of people who use these occasions to take part in antisocial behaviour activities and put other people’s enjoyment at risk.

“We would ask that everyone shows respect to each other, whether they wish to participate or not in the upcoming occasions. Residents should also report any antisocial behaviour they come across to either Humberside Police or the council’s ASB team.

“The partnership work between our ASB team and Humberside Police is going from strength to strength and we will again be working together throughout the next month to ensure the upcoming occasions pass without incident.”

Just Beverley