Rachel Makena, the Beverley-based singer- songwriter has recently released two new songs to raise money for the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF).
Streaming the songs ’Can Anybody Hear Me?’ and ‘Plastic Wrap’ will also raise awareness of the fight for the environment.
Rachel, who holds a BSc in Cell Biology and an MSc in Molecular Medicine, says ‘I just think songs are a good way to raise awareness because music can be much more engaging and has the ability to reach many different types of people.’
Rachel told us ‘I have always been keen on sustainability and always loved singing and wanted to try to write songs that can help the world, are fun to listen to and to perform.’
Having already performed in London in Trafalgar Square and The Mall for Extinction Rebellion the future looks bright; Rachel has already featured on BBC Radio Humberside, has played at Viking FM (Bauer Media) events, including their Amsterdam Cruise and has built up an impressive list of performances at festivals and other sessions throughout East Yorkshire.
Still loyal to Beverley, Rachel has played at numerous events in the town not least the UCI Paracycling International event in September 2019.
What’s more, after recently winning the #BuskOnceYork competition Rachel will now perform prior to the main performance of the musical ‘Once’ at the Grand Opera House, York on the 3rd and 7th February - congratulations Rachel!
Aside from Rachel’s big win, the gigs keep coming in with the following concerts scheduled...
- 5th February - Hammond House Publishing, International Literary Festival, Grimsby
- 8th February - Support act for The Southmartins, O2 Academy, Sheffield
- 14th and 15th February - Stage4Beverley, East Riding Theatre and Monks Walk, Beverley
- 21st February - The Funny Onion Restaurant, Bridlington
- 13th June - Support act for The Southmartins, O2 Academy, Leeds
- 27th September - Hull Marathon and Relays, Hull, powered by Eon Visual Media and BrainWorks.
So if you fancy seeing Rachel in concert, or finding out more about her career get in touch at www.rachelmakenamusic.com, or find her on YouTube, Spotify, or social media - Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.