More free compost than ever before to be given away in SeptemberTue 29th August 2023
Come and get your free compost! The giveaways are back in September and this time East Riding of Yorkshire Council will be giving away more compost than ever before.
Around 6,500 bags of compost – 75 tonnes - will be handed out free to local residents over nine events held across the East Riding between September 5th to 20th.
The increase – from the 55 tonnes normally given away – is as a result of the popularity of the giveaways events held in May.
Councillor Paul West, the council’s portfolio holder for environment and transport said: “The compost giveaways we held in May proved to be so popular that we’ve upped the amount this time to make sure we can cope with the demand.
“These giveaways are the council’s way of thanking residents for their continued support of our recycling schemes.”
As normal, residents are invited to drive along to their nearest event, where two bags of compost will be placed into their car boots by council staff.
The compost being given away is made up entirely from the garden and food waste which East Riding residents recycle in their brown bins.
Brown bins can take grass cuttings, hedge trimmings, small branches, leaves, flowers and weeds, all cooked and uncooked food, peelings, plate scrapings, bones, bread, meat, eggshells and small amounts of soups, sauces and gravies.
All brown bin contents get recycled into compost by the Biowise plant in Willerby – where the giveaway compost comes from.
Free compost will be given away at the following events:
- Tuesday 5 September from 4.30pm – Preston, Lelley Fields Crematorium, Sproatley Road, HU12 8FX.
- Thursday 7 September from 4pm – Hornsea, Broadway Car Park, HU18 1PZ.
- Saturday 9 September from 10am – Carnaby, council depot, Carnaby Industrial Estate, Lancaster Road, YO15 3QY.
- Monday 11 September from 5pm – Pocklington, Wolds Gliding Club, Hodsow Lane, YO42 1NP.
- Tuesday 12 September from 4pm – Goole, West Park, DN14 6UU.
- Wednesday 13 September from 4pm – Withernsea, Pavilion Car Park, Station Road, HU19 2QA.
- Friday 15 September from 4pm – Brough / Elloughton, Brantingham Park, Elloughton, HU15 1HX.
- Saturday 16 September from 10am – Beverley, council depot, Annie Reed Road, HU17 0LF.
- Wednesday 20 September from 4pm – Driffield, Driffield Showground, Kelleythorpe, YO25 9DN.
Residents are asked not to queue at the venues beforehand or they may be turned away for safety reasons.
The compost is best used as a soil improver.