East Riding of Yorkshire Council's 'Young People's Photography Competition 2022'Thu 20th October 2022
The council’s planning design team are inviting all young people in the East Riding to send in their favourite pictures of where they live for the chance to win a £50 one4all shopping voucher.
They are looking for pictures that tell the council what young people like or don’t like so much about their neighbourhood. Whether that be a favourite place to go with friends or where they walk their dogs – the council’s planning design team want to know!
This will help the council plan for creating better public spaces in the future for our residents, their family and friends as part of the ongoing work to create an East Riding Design Code.
The East Riding Design Code
East Riding of Yorkshire Council are in the process of creating a design code for new development taking place in the authority. This code would sit alongside the Local Plan policies and would act as both a tool for decision making and as a tool for applicants to show what needs to be considered before an application for planning permission is submitted to help make the planning process smoother.
New development works best when it integrates well with the existing environment. We want to capture the views of East Riding residents about what makes each of our existing towns and villages special, what works well, and what doesn’t work so well, so that we can maximize the potential of new proposals coming forward to enhance the existing built environment.
The responses to this competition, along with other engagement activities taking place, will play an important role in shaping a draft design code which will be available for public comment before a final code is adopted.
- Entry is open to anyone up to the age of 25.
- If you are under the age of 18, you must have permission to enter from your legal guardian. When submitting your entry please provide the name of your legal guardian/carer in addition to your own.
- The competition closes at 5pm on Friday, 4 November 2022.
- Photos need to be taken somewhere within the East Riding and you can submit up to three entries, either of the same location or different ones.
- Please do not take selfies or include anyone else’s face in the image.
- Do not put yourself or anyone else in danger to take these images and do not go into any spaces you do not have permission to.
How will the winners be chosen?
A panel of judges will rate each picture based on quality, originality and creativity. Judges will then collectively agree on the overall competition winner who will be contacted via email.
How to enter?
Send your pictures to Planningdesign@eastriding.gov.uk by 5pm on Friday, 4 November 2022. In your email, please include:
- Your full name – if under 18 please provide a legal guardian’s name as well.
- The title of your picture
- Where the picture was taken
- What you do and don’t like about the location
- Subject “Photo Competition”
Full terms and conditions can be found by visiting: Design Code Photography Competition 2022
Cllr Claire Holmes, portfolio holder for planning, infrastructure and housing at East Riding of Yorkshire Council, said: "This is a fantastic opportunity for young people in the East Riding to get involved with the East Riding Design Code and let our officers know what they like and don't like as much about the towns and villages they live in. Young people can often miss out on consultation on subjects which really will have an impact on their future lives and the place that they live so I hope as many young people will get involved in this opportunity as possible."